By the Blouin News Sports staff

Uruguay’s World Cup participation not at risk

by in Soccer.

AFP/Getty Images

AFP/Getty Images

With the 2014 World Cup in Brazil set to kick off just over two months from today, concerns over whether Uruguay would abandon their participation in the event over the recent resignation of the board of the country’s Football Association seems to have been put to rest.

Eugenio Figueredo, the president of South American football’s governing body CONMEBOL, in an interview with Reteurs, said, “I don’t think Uruguay’s place at the World Cup is at risk.”

The board of the FA in Uruguay resigned over recent heightened violence at football matches. Last week, approximately 40 police officers were injured during Uruguay’s Clasico Charrua, a friendly match between Peñarol and Nacional. An on-field skirmish between Carlos Núñez and Guillermo de los Santos led to an all-out brawl between the two sides, which eventually made it its way to the stands.

“The well-publicized acts that have occurred in recent times show the need for [the board to] step aside and allow other political views to govern our football. The Executive Board has worked with the sole objective to benefit our football and, today, there is a clear perception that it’s an obstacle to continue with this line of work,” said the FA board in their Monday resignation letter.

With all five of the board’s top members quitting, it was logical to assume Uruguay’s participation at the World Cup was at risk. However, it seems as if the sixth-ranked Uruguayan side will be preparing for their opening match on June 14 against Costa Rica. In a difficult group consisting of England and Italy, along with Costa Rica, Uruguay is expected to make a deep run.

This recent bit of bad news for the country, however, may impact their chances of making a legitimate run at the Jules Rimet Trophy — which really is up for grabs this summer.

VISUAL CONTEXT: 2014 WORLD CUP ODDS

Business Insider

Business Insider